City Treasurer Stephen Schaus
First elected in October 1991, City Treasurer Stephen Schaus is directly responsible for the investment and management of approximately $135,000 in the city funds and indirectly responsible for an additional $41,000,000 held in the City Pension fund
City of Edmond Accomplishments
- Developed and implemented investment policies for the General Fund, Public Works Authority and Pension Fund
- Improved the reporting and tracking of the investments by converting from a manual accounting system to a computerized accounting system.
- Implemented one of Oklahoma's first credit card acceptance programs for the payment of City services by citizens.
- Implemented one of Oklahoma's first purchasing card systems, streamlining the purchasing process and allowing city employees to work more efficiently.
- Led the Edmond Pension Board in the selection of a professional consultant and professional money managers to help ensure the financial health of the City's Pension Plan.
- Led the Edmond Pension Board in the outsourcing of certain pension functions to a local Oklahoma bank, increasing fund security as well as improving retiree services.
- Led the City's Utility Accounting department in selecting a local Oklahoma bank to provide lockbox services to process all customer utility payments, which resulted in a cost savings and improved efficiency.
- Led the City's Finance and Audit Committee in selecting a new 457 Deferred Compensation Plan Provider, saving participating City of Edmond employees more than $135,000 in estimated fees over a five year period.
- B.B.A. Accounting, Eastern New Mexico University, Cum Laude, 1980
- Past Chairman of the Edmond Parks and Recreation Advisory Board
- Certified Public Accountant
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Government Finance Officers Association
- Oklahoma Municipal League Member
- Oklahoma Society of Certified Public Accountants
Civic Involvement & Leadership
- Bank of Oklahoma Business Banking Group Advisory Board OKC, Chairman
- Bank of Oklahoma, OKC Advisory Board of Directors
- BOK Financial Board of Directors, Advisory Member (BOK Financial is a multi-state bank holding company that includes Bank of Oklahoma)
- Chairman of the City of Edmond Finance Committee
- City of Edmond Capital Improvement Financing Subcommittee, Chairman
- Edmond Area Chamber of Commerce Member
- Edmond Employee Pension and Retirement Board
- Edmond Employee Pension Plan Investment Committee, Chairman
- Lyric Theatre of Oklahoma, Board Member and Past Treasurer
- OU Medical Center Edmond Board of Trustees, Vice Chairman
- Thelma Gaylord Lyric Theatre Endowment Fund, Board of Directors